I love canning time! My son and I started growing, canning, and pickling beets 3 years ago when he was just 8 years old! I look forward to it more and more every year!
My 14 year old daughter is a great help, however, canning and cooking really isn't a passion of hers!
We do the entire process start to finish outdoors on our cook stove. This way only our hands, feet, and clothes are dyed blood red rather than our whole kitchen!
1. Harvest them from the garden.
2. Soak and scrub the mud off!
3. Boil them until they are soft.
4. Hit them with cold water and slide the skins off.
5. Trim unwanted parts and cut into desired size.
6. Mix pickling solution boil beets in it.
7. Fill and process the jars!
8. LAUGH EVERY STEP OF THE WAY AND HAVE FUN!
It is such a gratifying task that I truly love tending to.
Visit my new shop on Etsy @
To buy some!