The first year that I saw them soaring up above with their long necks and elegant wings I fell instantly in love.
       Their call is unlike any around, kind of like a long gargled foreign bellow.  If they fly close enough I can even see the faint red on their heads.  Typically they fly together in pairs.  I always refer to them as “My Pterodactyls” because that is what they resemble to me.
They are breathtakingly grand and deserve respect. 
WHAT AM I TALKING ABOUT?
SANDHILL CRANES



General Description
A tall, long-necked, long-legged bird with a clump of feathers that droops over the rump; flies with neck and legs fully extended; adults are gray overall (may have brownish-red staining resulting from preening with muddy bill), with a whitish chin, cheek, and upper throat, and dull red skin on the crown and lores (lacking in immatures); immatures have a pale to tawny, feathered head and neck, and a gray body with brownish-red mottling; average length around 104 cm, wingspan 185 cm.

Every spring we are graced with Sandhill Cranes of our own, so to speak.  They usually come in pairs and this year I have seen 4.
I have even been lucky enough to see their nest with eggs in it in the years past.  That was a treat.
I just love to watch them.  They are such majestic creatures almost like they are of another world.  To see them wild and free is such a reward!




This is a picture of the four living on our place!
didn't even see the two geese in the picture until I uploaded and went to put it here! 
That’s a great bonus!
The following link is where the technical Sandhill Crane information came from and the top picture as well!  This website was a plethora of great information http://fieldguide.mt.gov/detail_ABNMK01010.aspx

Comments

  1. Wow, gorgeous and so fun to learn about! We don't have cranes here..maybe in a different part of the state. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sacra Vim! I am glad that you enjoyed it!!
    Blessings,

    Sharmon

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look really interesting! I have always been intriqued with your part of the country.....maybe I will make it out there someday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It amazes me that these birds just roam around in Central Florida. Just walking through yards and across the road. Would love to see them in flight.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog