Thursday, March 28, 2013


The first year that I saw them soaring up above with their long necks and elegant wings I fell instantly in love.
       Their call is unlike any around, kind of like a long gargled foreign bellow.  If they fly close enough I can even see the faint red on their heads.  Typically they fly together in pairs.  I always refer to them as “My Pterodactyls” because that is what they resemble to me.
They are breathtakingly grand and deserve respect. 
WHAT AM I TALKING ABOUT?
SANDHILL CRANES



General Description
A tall, long-necked, long-legged bird with a clump of feathers that droops over the rump; flies with neck and legs fully extended; adults are gray overall (may have brownish-red staining resulting from preening with muddy bill), with a whitish chin, cheek, and upper throat, and dull red skin on the crown and lores (lacking in immatures); immatures have a pale to tawny, feathered head and neck, and a gray body with brownish-red mottling; average length around 104 cm, wingspan 185 cm.

Every spring we are graced with Sandhill Cranes of our own, so to speak.  They usually come in pairs and this year I have seen 4.
I have even been lucky enough to see their nest with eggs in it in the years past.  That was a treat.
I just love to watch them.  They are such majestic creatures almost like they are of another world.  To see them wild and free is such a reward!




This is a picture of the four living on our place!
didn't even see the two geese in the picture until I uploaded and went to put it here! 
That’s a great bonus!
The following link is where the technical Sandhill Crane information came from and the top picture as well!  This website was a plethora of great information http://fieldguide.mt.gov/detail_ABNMK01010.aspx